Sunday, July 16, 2006

Manny Mania


This is extremely belated, but I would still want to write about the day Manny "the pacman" Pacquiao united the Filipino people once again! My dad was the first to notice that there was not a single vehicle passing the road in front of our house. The street was actually kinda deserted. All the people in our neighborhood were glued to their boobtube. I later learned that the ratings for this boxing match soared at all time high breaking all records. I suppose the whole populace of this south east asian archipelago held it's breath when Manny staggered during the first minutes of the 3rd round. But Manny's maturity and resilience as an athlete and more so as a boxer rose to the occasion. He dominated the match and showed that his speed and skills as a boxer is no match to Larios'.

However, I would also like to acknowledge the sportsmanship of Larios'. The man knows how to accept defeat with dignity and grace. If I am not a Filipino I would probably end up rooting for him. But fortunately for me I am a Filipino and very proud to belong to the same proud brown race that Manny Pacquiao came from! More than two weeks have already passed and I am still beaming with pride. Cant wait for the next boxing match of Manny against Morales. Well I guess his recent victory would be enough to tide me over the next few months.

Whenever a Filipino athlete achieve this much success I cant help but be reminded of the countless and nameless Filipino athletes who continue to dedicate their life for the love of sport and country without much funfare. We have to give it to these Filipino athlete's for their commitment to their sport and country. Hurray to Manny Pacquiao! Elma Muros! Lydia de Vega! Efren Reyes! Paeng Nepomuceno and countless nameless Filipino atheletes.