Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Matchpoint

It's Wednesday and its been raining for almost a week already! The rain would not just let-up. To make matters worst I live in Valenzuela, where the mere gravitational pull of the moon would cause flooding. So more or less I've been stuck in our house for eons and am getting pretty restless. I have already watched almost 10 Korean movies on end for three days, watched more than my usual staple of CNN news, read 3 books (Nursing books not included), and have gobbled 5 large servings of mommy's piping hot arroz caldo. After lounging, yawning, and some occasional attempts to do cartwheel and backflips I decided to check the VCDs I have not yet watched. Alas! Matchpoint...

The movie opened with this narration of the male lead character Chris Wilton, The man who said "I'd rather be lucky than good" saw deeply into life. People are often afraid to realize how much of an impact luck plays. There are moments in a tennis match where the ball hits the top of the net, and for a split second, remains in mid-air. With a litte luck, the ball goes over, and you win. Or maybe it doesn't, and you lose. I, in particular do not believe in luck. I always believe that we are all the product of our own decisions, its the choices that we make that determines our destiny. Well enough of my crude sense of philosophy. The movie is quite intriguing, witty, funny, and somehow gripping. The story revolves around the struggle and maneuverings of a tennis instructor who eventually married up and have to decide if he can afford to leave the affluent lifestyle he have accustomed to. The lead bloke is pretty lucky to have things really come his way. I cant believe that this is Woody Allen flick, probably because of the lame reason that the backdrop is not New York. The movie will make you think and chuckle at the same time. And wow! Scarlett Johansson is so alluring to say the least. Can't blame Woody to be smitten and be inspired with his latest muse.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home