Saturday, November 11, 2006

Taps

I am one of those dorky people who loved watching CNN, the kind who would stay glued on days end. My mom can't even understand why I stayed glued on the tube recently awaiting the results of the US Mid-term election. I was more than overjoyed to learn that the Democrats finally after 12 long years secured the majority of the seats in the lower house and later would also secure the majority in the Senate. According to the polls the Americans are not happy with the way things are going in Iraq, hence the result of the election. I am never in favor of aggression and war. It seems so easy for the leaders of this planet to stage a war and send the countless hapless ordinary people to be slaughtered. I will however forever always put in high regard the soldiers that battle it out at the fields. While watching the result and aftershock of the mid-term elections I came across a story that was aired in CNN.

The story is about Sgt. Will Mock . He is a 23 years old soldier from Harper, Kansas. He is definitely very young, and once again I am stirred to anger because we send our youth to fight these various ideological, political, social driven wars. I think there is definitely something wrong with a society or a civilization as a whole when they send their kids to fight their battles. We are suppose to nurture our youth and give them bright future and not send them to be slaughtered. I just can not understand the logic of war.... I don't also want to say that these brave soldiers died in vain.... They definitely died because of their conviction that they are doing these for all of us...... ''To end or stifle terrorrism"....And even just for this, I think we owe them our deepest respect and gratitude.

Sgt. Mock talked about how the war changed him. I was particularly moved when he talked about how he felt whenever the Taps was played during memorial ceremonies... "Every time we lose soldiers and we have our ceremonies here for the fallen comrades and they play the taps for those men -- that's probably the moments that will stay in my mind more than ever," he said. "From now until the day that I die, every Memorial Day and Veterans Day when I go to the local cemetery in Harper, Kansas, and they play the taps, I am sure it will hit me pretty hard then."

Each war that is raging in this beautiful blue planet should be a concern for everybody. Every fallen soldier should be mourned..... everytime the Taps is played should remind us of their valor.....

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home